34th Annual Cancer Walk-a-Thon
Cancer… that 6-letter word brings fear and anxiety to everyone. Each of us has been touched in some way by cancer.
In 1981, seven Walk-a-Thons were scheduled around New Mexico in an effort to bring awareness and to raise money for cancer research. Many of these original walks were highly successful, but as often happens, events run their course and are replaced by new ones.
San Juan County, New Mexico hosted one of the seven original Walk-a-Thons. What began as a small event with a few walkers has grown into one of the premier events in the Four Corners region. Men, women, teens, children and even our four-footed friends gather at the Farmington Civic Center in the heart of downtown Farmington on the fourth Saturday in September. Some walk in memory of a loved one who passed away from cancer, some walk because they themselves have had cancer. Though the reasons are varied, the purpose is the same… to support the Connelly Hospitality House and the San Juan Medical Foundation.
All walkers, whether they are members of a team or walking as an individual, are encouraged to collect donations that will be turned in prior to or the morning of the event. While there is no set amount, walkers are encouraged to raise as much as they can. Every walker who raises $50 or more receives a Cancer Walk-a-Thon T-shirt. Prizes are awarded according to the amount raised.
The 2012 walk raised more than $151,000 for Connelly House and the San Juan Medical Foundation. Since it began, the Cancer Walk-a-Thon has raised more than $1.9M for cancer related projects and services. Best of all… the money raised through the Cancer Walk-a-Thon stays in San Juan County!
There are a number of ways to be involved:
- Individual Walker: Register, collect donations and then walk the morning of the event. A special award and gift is given to the individual who raises the most money.
- Virtual Walker: Register, collect donations, but not actually walk in the event. You are still eligible for the special award and gift if you are the individual who raises the most money.
- TEAM: Gather your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, etc and form a TEAM. A special award is given to the TEAM with the most walkers and also to the TEAM that raises the most money.
- Dogs: Your dog can be a fundraiser, too! Register your dog to walk and collect donations for them. A special package of prizes is awarded to the dog that raises the most money.
- Volunteer: Volunteer opportunities are abundant from set up to clean up. Your civic organization, church group or business may want to have a water or refreshment station along the route on the morning of the event. Volunteers can collect donations and receive prizes just like walkers and are encouraged to do so.
Walker packets will be available by August 1st.
For more information call the Foundation at 505-609-6813 or email email@example.com.
Thank you to our 2014 sponsors
Citizens Bank Dr. & Mrs. Linh Nguyen San Juan Oncology Associates San Juan Oncology Associates
This is a GREAT event for young and old alike. Not only are you getting to enjoy a beautiful fall morning… you are also helping to provide a "safe place" for cancer patients during the most difficult phase of their journey.